Monday, February 6, 2012

Happy Anniversary to ME!!! :D

Last Thursday, I officially celebrated one year in Mali!!!

Recap:

It’s Been One Year (or more) Since I’ve…
·      Hugged my mom
·      Played games with my dad
·      Fought with my sister
·      Seen snow
·      Eaten a variety of foods, including, but not limited to:
  • Blueberry waffle cone ice cream
  • Mango margaritas
  • A real Chai Latte
  • Jif Peanut-Buttered English Muffin
  • Skim milk
·      Been skiing
·      Ridden a rollercoaster
·      Driven!
·      Worn heels
·      Flown in an airplane/left the country
·      Not slept under a mosquito net
·      Channel surfed
·      Gone to the movies
·      Bowled
·      Gone a whole day without lugging around (at least one) a Nalgene
·      Seen a white baby
·      Been to a Wal-Mart or a Target
·      Attended and understood a church service
·      Gone a day without seeing, or hearing, at least one donkey, goat, or rooster
·      Worn contacts 2 days in a row
·      Been to a library
·      Gone to the beach
·      Gone on a date
·      Baby-sat (although I do run an unofficial day care center at my house every day whether I want to or not)
·      Experienced weather <50°
·      Worn a coat
·      Seen or used a washer or dryer
·      Been to the chiropractor
·      Used a hair brush, dryer or straightener

Surprisingly, I HAVE:
·      Consumed the following:
  • Yuengling beer
  • My dad’s homemade chocolate cookies dunked in cow’s milk
  • Amεriki-style PB&J (made with Amεriki bread, PB, and jelly!)
  • Pop-Tarts
  • Jameson
  • Delivery pizza
  • Gelato
  • Pig (4x!...remember, it’s a 95% Muslim country)
·      Salsa danced
·      Baked challah
·      Gone out dancing till 5am
·      Worn my lip ring
·      Managed to keep up with 3/6 Amεriki TV shows
·      Laid in the grass (once!)
·      Ridden an elevator (after 357 days)
·      Ridden a boat
·      Tried to teach a villager how to use a laptop, in Bambara
·      Played Pub Trivia
·      Used glitter glue!
·      Watched a soap opera
·      Learned new Amεriki music from villagers

New Things I’ve Learned:
·      To like tomatoes, eggplant, cabbage, and beets
·      How to plant fields of millet, beans, and peanuts
·      How to harvest peanuts and cotton
·      How to balance and carry things on my head
·      To speak a new language
·      How to walk in a tafe (wrap skirt) without tripping (usually…)
·      How to navigate a country, alone, where I’m a foreigner to the language, culture, food, and pretty much everything about it
·      How to eat rice and sauce with my hands
·      How to feed milk to a baby goat
·      Not to put water into a pan of hot oil unless you want to burn down your hut
·      How to read the skies: the directions storms approach, the movement of the sun, star patterns
·      How to play a new card game without a common language
·      How to administer polio vaccines and Vitamin A supplements
·      How to tell the difference between sheep and goats
·      Wash my clothes (ALL my clothes, ALL the time) by hand
·      The fine arts of Patience, Sitting, Thinking, and Sleeping
·      How to bargain prices
·      To make peace with ants and roaches

New Things I’ve Done:
·      Lived alone in my very first place! (Sure it’s a mud hut with no electricity or running water, and I don’t pay rent, but it’s a step in the right direction…)
·      Ridden in donkey carts
·      Seen real, live cases of lymphedema, the most common symptom of chronic lymphatic filariasis
·      Gained 5 new families (Homestay in Mountougoula, my site host fam, my homologue’s fam, the CSCOM fam, and my Peace Corps fam)
·      Ridden a bike with 2 people
·      Fulfilled a 12 year curiosity of shaving my head! Plus worn a mohawk and unintentionally started growing a mullet.
·      Purchased, carried, and vehicle-transported a live chicken.
·      Eaten bugs
·      Lived through 4 consecutive months of 100°+ everyday without air conditioning, fans, or cold drinks
·      Experienced and lived through ‘fun’ diseases: Amoebas, Malaria, and Intestinal Bacterial Infections
·      Gotten away with calling my boss, friends, and strangers a donkey or a farting bean-eater
·      Gone to the doctor/dentist ALONE and navigated the hospital/appointment with limited language skills
·      Gone more than 1 day in a row without email, Facebook, YouTube, OR Wikipedia
·      Made travel buddies with goats and chickens

It’s been a great year…may there be much more greatness to come!! :D

1 comment: