Thursday, December 29, 2011

In My Head - Sat, Aug 20

An excerpt from my blogging journal:

Saturday, August 20
Today was the first day of another polio vaccination campaign, so it was another early morning for me.  Djeneba, Madu (a health center relais, or community liaison), and I were out by 8am, walking from concession to concession to vaccinate all the kids under the age of 5. The process itself gets pretty boring but I enjoy going out into the village and surrounding villages, and seeing lots of people.  Now that I’ve been here for 4 months and recognize a lot of faces, I take the opportunity to have Djeneba remind me of their names since I’ll now have a chance at remembering.  We worked until noon; at that point Djeneba told me (as she always does) to go to the CSCOM to eat and rest while she and Madu finish the rounds.

Back at the CSCOM I hung out with the head doctor’s wife, Cisse, and the kids.  Fanta and I ate together since everyone else is fasting for Ramadan.  After lunch Fanta (who is 4 years old) cleaned up everything and noticed I was tired, so she took me into the house, got me a pillow, and ordered me to take a nap – I happily obliged!  After my nap we were hanging out under the gwa (wood and millet/corn stalk sheltered area) until all of a sudden rain started pouring down.  We all ran to get everything under a less permeable cover and then got ourselves onto the house porch under the awning.  I carried Fanta over and set her down; suddenly her head whipped up and caught me smack in the chin.  I hit the ground on my knees in pain as my mouth filled with blood.  Usually when the Toubab gets hurt people freak out; luckily these people have spent so much time around me that I’m more or less a normal person and they didn’t go ballistic. Binke grabbed my water bottle so I could wash my mouth out and Cisse got me some cotton to help stop the bleeding in my lip where my tooth had gone through.  I couldn’t believe how much it hurt!  Poor Fanta looked horrified, so I tried to smile at her and tell her I was fine.  After the bleeding stopped (my lip was already swelling) I settled into a chair and waited with everyone else for the pounding rain to stop.  I looked at Cisse and she told me Fanta, who had her back to me, was crying, so I picked her up and sat her on my lap until she settled down.  It didn’t surprise me that she wasn’t hurt; this is the girl who once head-butted me (her head against mine) twice just for fun…not so much fun for me!

Later that night I needed to go to the main road to buy bread but I was waiting for Alima to come over, as she usually does every evening to get me water from the pump, so we could go together.  She never came, and as the sky grew darker with approaching rain clouds, I eventually had to go by myself. Not a big deal, except that the afternoon storm had created new streams, including one that completely cut me off from the main road.  It was a very narrow stream, but the place where I normally ride my bike through a small ditch was going to be impossible to cross, and I had to carry my bike over it.  I had no idea how I was going to get back again once the bike was loaded with my heavy water container. 

I stopped at my favorite macaroni lady’s place by the side of the road (she cooks food there and sells it) and gave her daughter some money to buy me bread if the bread-seller-on-a-bicycle came while I was at the pump.  Fanta and Fatim helped me fill my jerry can, but the new pump takes forever and I was growing more and more anxious every moment with the approaching rain and darkness.  Finally I made it back to the macaroni lady only to find the bread guy hadn’t come yet. (He rides his moto to San to bring back bread, so you have to try and catch him at the right moment before he jets off to another village). Since the rain had started and it was almost dark, the macaroni lady told me to go home and send one of my jatigi’s (host family) kids back later to pick up the bread that she would buy and save for me…really, there are just some things you gotta love about Mali!  The men sitting there instructed me to go home a different way than I’d come; I would still have to cross the stream but I would be able to ride through it.  That part worked out ok, but the other side was a mess of sloppy mud, and I had to get off my bike to push my way through, hurrying as much as possible to get home while I could still see a little. 

At home I struggled to get my heavy water container off my bike and into the house, get the bike in the house without tracking mud everywhere, and find a place to store my giant lounge chair in the house (out of the rain).  At this point it was almost totally dark and I was really regretting not having my headlamp, which I’d forgotten in San.  I finally finished and headed over to my jatigi’s house to ask one of the Sinalis to come with me to pick up my bread.  Shina, Seydou, and I headed out together.  With it raining, water everywhere, plus the animal poop that couldn’t be swept out of the road earlier because of the rain, finding our way was difficult.  My second-best flashlight had inexplicably stopped working that morning.  My fourth-best flashlight is an electricity powered one I bought in Bamako and after 5 months of using it the electricity only powers it for all of about a day anymore.  So we were using my third-best flashlight, which was giving off a pretty weak light with only 4-day-old batteries. 

After turning back once to find a better way across the stream/pond, the three of us finally made it to the macaroni lady, who had my bread ready and waiting.  We turned right back around, now in complete darkness, to go home again.  It was like picking our way through an obstacle course in the dark with only the faintest light.  I needed to make one more stop at the butiki to buy phone credit, so I dragged the boys along with me.  I wanted to buy them (and me!) a treat for helping me, so I asked the street-food lady at the butiki if she was selling my favorite fried dough.  She wasn’t, but my usual fried-dough lady was selling it from her house next door.  We went there, only to realize I was out of change and she didn’t have any.  So we traipsed back to the butiki to get change, then back again to buy the fried dough.  When we finally made it home, an hour after I’d originally left to get water and bread, I gave the boys enough fried dough for their whole family and headed home…to start dinner.  I made eggplant dip to go on my bread, and I got to use my new Malian mortar and pestle – fun!!  I’d just finished cooking when Safi knocked on my door, bringing over a plate of macaroni…two dinners!  I decided to take full advantage of having a night all to myself and used precious computer battery to watch an episode of Friends while I ate my two dinners… sometimes life is really good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment