Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stating the Obvious

Malians have a habit of stating the obvious. Let me give you some examples.

#1. Setting: It’s morning. I’m walking with an empty bucket.
Malian: Michelli, where are you going?
Me: I’m going to the pump.
Malian: Oh, you’re going to get water?
Me: Yep, I’m going to get water.

(That evening. I’m walking with an empty bucket)
Same Malian: Michelli, where are you going?
Me: I’m going to get water.
Same Malian: Oh, you’re going to the pump?
Me: Yep, I’m going to the pump.

(Repeat conversation every day, twice a day).


#2. Setting: I arrive at the CSCOM in the morning, panting and drenched in sweat already at 9am.
Malian: It’s hot today.
Me: Yep.
Malian: You’re sweating a lot. It’s really hot today.
Me: Yep.
Malian: Hey, (insert friend’s name here), look at Michelle, she’s sweating a lot. It must be hot today.
Malian’s Friend: Wow, she really is sweating. It’s hot. Michelle, you’re sweating!
Me: Yep.


#3. Setting: I arrive at the CSCOM, my arms covered in bug bites.
Malian: Whoa! Michelle! You have mosquito bites!
Me: Yes, I know.
Malian: You didn’t sleep under your mosquito net?
Me: No, I did.
Malian: But you have mosquito bites. Why didn’t you sleep under your net?
Me: I have 55 bites on my arms alone, to be exact. And I did sleep under my net.
Malian: But you have bug bites.
Me: Yes, I’m aware. (Scratch)


#4. Setting: I’m on my way to do health education outreach in a nearby village, which is 3km off the main road on an unpaved “road.” The 2 women I’m with are on a motorcycle. Since PCVs are forbidden to ride motos, I’m riding my bike, currently panting and pouring sweat and looking quite miserable).
Woman #1: Michelle! You’re tired!
Me: Yep.
Woman #2: Michelle, are you tired?
Me: Yep, I’m tired.
Woman #1, speaking to Woman #2: Wow, look at Michelle, she’s tired.
Woman #2: Michelle, you’re really really tired!
Me: (Thinking to myself: Why yes, I AM tired. It’s 2:30 in the afternoon, the hottest part of the day, and I’m riding my bike through SAND in the direct sunlight. Yep, I’m tired! And asking me every 5 seconds if I’m tired is sapping what little energy I have left!) Out loud: Yep. I’m really really tired.
Woman #1: Wow, you’re really tired.


Despite the repetitiveness and occasional annoyance (aka Scenario #4), I actually appreciate these seemingly pointless conversations. I can’t say much else, so at least conversations like these give me interaction with the community! You have to start somewhere, right?

3 comments:

  1. I can see the exact look on your face, the turn in your upper lip, and the eyebrows closing in as I read these. I shake my head and just chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the same thing here, even in English, and yes, especially regarding to how much I sweat as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michelle, you're in Mali.

    ReplyDelete